DISH Disappointed with CBS’ Interference with CNET’s “Best of CES” Awards
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH’s Hopper™ with Sling® Whole-Home HD DVR was disqualified from CNET’s “Best of CES” awards program at the last minute today because CNET’s parent, CBS Corp., is in litigation with DISH regarding Hopper’s consumer-friendly Prime Time Any Time and the AutoHop™ commercial-skipping features.
After CNET posted a review entitled “Dish Hopper with Sling: HD DVR almost has it all,” Hopper with Sling was named a finalist by CNET for its Best of CES awards. Winners were named today at International CES.
The following statement can be attributed to DISH CEO and President Joe Clayton:
“We are saddened that CNET’s staff is being denied its editorial independence because of CBS’ heavy-handed tactics. This action has nothing to do with the merits of our new product. Hopper with Sling is all about consumer choice and control over the TV experience. That CBS, which owns CNET.com, would censor that message is insulting to consumers.
“DISH is not afraid to stand up for consumer rights and we think that Hopper with Sling will do well, despite the network’s questionable actions.
“We have had a long, productive relationship with CNET’s editorial staff and we look forward to continuing that relationship. We welcome their unbiased evaluation and commentary of our products and services.”
The new Hopper with Sling, unveiled at 2013 CES, delivers several capabilities that improve the DISH experience at home and on the go by allowing customers to watch live and recorded television anywhere on Internet-connected tablets, smartphones and PCs at no additional charge using the Hopper’s new built-in Sling capabilities as well as move recorded television to an iPad for viewing without an Internet connection.
- CNET review – “Dish Hopper with Sling: HD DVR almost has it all”: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-video-recorders-dvrs/dish-hopper-with-sling/4505-6474_7-35566943.html
- CNET Tweet – DISH Hopper with Sling Nominated for “Best of CES” award: http://twitter.com/CNET/statuses/289090800011313152
- DISHNews tweet announcing CES nomination (with photo): https://twitter.com/DISHNews/status/289115675958579200
- CNET CES Award Finalists list including a disclaimer at the bottom of the page regarding the removal of DISH Hopper with Sling: http://ces.cnet.com/2731-34437_1-2034-2.html
- CNET Review – “Dish Hopper with Sling: HD DVR almost has it all”
- CNET Tweet – DISH Hopper with Sling Nominated for “Best of CES” award
- CNET List of Finalist – DISH Hopper with Sling (Included)
- CNET List of Finalist – DISH Hopper with Sling (Removed)
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.042 million satellite TV customers, as of Sept. 30, 2012, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.